Other Students

Others interested in attending classes at UNC Asheville may also apply for admission. The requirements vary depending upon the type of admission desired. In all cases students must provide verification of compliance with the North Carolina immunization requirement. 

NC Early College Students

Students that graduate from NC Cooperative Innovative High Schools (early colleges) and complete an A.A., A.S., or A.F.A. degree during their high school career are given the option to choose the academic criteria under which they are reviewed for admission.  Students may select to be evaluated under first-year admissions standards or transfer student standards.  Apart from the admissions criteria, these students will be considered first-year freshmen as it pertains to housing, class registration, etc. 

Students that decide to be reviewed as freshman applicants must adhere to all required first-year criteria including minimum course requirements.

Students that select to be reviewed as transfer applicants must adhere to particular transfer requirements, including a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on all college coursework.

Non-Degree Students

Applicants who wish to take college courses but have no clear intention of obtaining a degree may be admitted to the university as non-degree students. Non-degree students may take up to nine credit hours each semester. Students who have been denied admission for reasons of academic deficiency, or previously enrolled students who have been dismissed, may not then be enrolled as non-degree students. A $35 non-refundable application fee is required. For more information, review the advising website's information for new students


Application Dates:  

Spring 2017 - November 1, 2016
Fall 2017 - July 1, 2017
Summer 2017 - May 1, 2017

Teacher Licensure

Applicants holding baccalaureate degrees who wish to pursue teacher licensure will be considered transfer students for admissions purposes. (Those who wish to take college courses to renew their licensure may be admitted to the university as non-degree students.) Applicants must have a 2.7 minimum cumulative grade-point average in their baccalaureate degree in order to be considered for the teacher licensure program. It is recommended that prospective students interested in teacher licensure contact UNC Asheville's Department of Education at 828.251.6420.

Find Out More



Application Dates: 

Spring 2017 - November 1, 2016
Fall 2017 - June 2, 2017

Lateral Entry Teachers

Lateral entry teachers can take classes through UNC Asheville’s distance education program. Lateral entry courses fulfill requirements for regular classroom teachers and exceptional children teachers. Online as well as teleconference courses are offered. More detailed information can be found on the Lateral Entry website.

Post-Baccalaureate Students

Students who already hold baccalaureate degrees from UNC Asheville or other regionally accredited institutions (minimum 2.0 GPA) and are interested in additional undergraduate study have three choices: they may take individual courses, they may pursue a second degree, or they may enroll in the teacher licensure program (see below) where they may or may not choose to pursue a second degree. Since the admission procedure is slightly different for each case, we encourage you to contact one of our admissions counselors for more information.

Apply OnlineDownload Degree-Seeking Application

Application Dates:  

Spring 2017 - November 1, 2016
Fall 2017 - June 2, 2017

Visiting Students

Students from other colleges or universities may attend UNC Asheville as visitors, provided they are in good academic standing (2.0 on all previous credits) at the institution they have been attending. A visiting student must acquire a signed statement (on application) from the appropriate official of his or her institution. Verification that credit will transfer to the sponsoring institution is the responsibility of the student. Visiting enrollment does not constitute regular admission to the UNC Asheville. A $35 non-refundable application fee is required. Upon completion of classes the student must file a transcript request to have records forwarded to the sponsoring institution. 

Apply online as a Visiting Student

Application Dates:

Spring 2017 - November 15, 2016
Fall 2017 - July 1, 2017
Summer 2017 - May 1, 2017

Returning Students

Any UNC Asheville student who interrupts his or her educational program must apply for readmission. A $20 non-refundable application fee is required.

Students who have attended another school since leaving UNC Asheville should complete Transfer Student admission application.

Returning Students Apply Online

Application Dates:

Spring 2017 - December 1, 2016

Home School Applicants

Students who are home-schooled should follow the instructions for either Beginning Freshman or Transfer students, as applicable to the individual student. In addition to the requirements listed, North Carolina residents must submit a copy of the home school eligibility information issued by the North Carolina Division of Non-Public Instruction. Non-North Carolina residents must submit official documentation indicating the home school is approved to provide instruction. Official transcripts should include the notarized signature of the home school official.

High School Students Interested in Dual Enrollment

Rising high school seniors may apply for Dual Enrollment Admission to UNC Asheville for the purpose of taking courses not offered by their high school. Applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Course enrollment at UNC Asheville is determined by availability of space in the classes selected. There is no application fee. Applications for Dual Enrollment are valid for one semester only. You must submit a new application for each additional semester that you wish to take UNC Asheville courses. All tuition and fees associated with enrollment are due at the time of registration.

Download the Dual Enrollment Application

Download the Asheville High School/SILSA Dual Enrollment Application

Application Dates: Rolling

Application Update

A student who has deferred their application for up to two semesters and has not attended another university may fill out an application update rather than completing a new application.

Download Application Update