The SOAR program is designed to help a select group of recent high school graduates make the transition from high school to college. During this program, they will be exposed to UNC Asheville's academic expectations, as well as the culture of the campus and the greater Asheville community.
What classes will I take during the Spring Semester?
- In addition to classes of your choosing, you will take two mandatory classes during SOAR – LA 178 (part of your Liberal Arts Core (LAC) requirement) and EDUC 171 (an academic advising course). Each of these classes count towards UNC Asheville's Liberal Arts Core (LAC) requirements, which are required for graduation.
How many hours can I take?
- SOAR students are limited to 15 credit hours their first semester.
What can I do during the fall semester?
- SOAR students have the option of taking up to 15 credit hours of coursework at their local community college during the fall semester. We encourage students to consult with UNCA’s academic advisors before selecting courses at 828-251-4501 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
When will I have orientation?
- SOAR students will have orientation on January 8, 2016. Students will also have the opportunity move into the residence halls on January 7, 2016. Classes will start on January 11, 2016.
Where will I live during Spring SOAR?
- Spring SOAR students may apply to live in any residence hall they choose.
What is included in each residence hall room?
- Residence hall rooms include single beds, study desks and chairs, dressers, window blinds and shower curtains. Anything else you will need (like sheets, alarm clocks, or cleaning supplies) is your responsibility!
- All residence halls also include cable television service and high speed internet in every room.
- Keep in mind that some items are banned from the residence halls.
Do I need to bring a computer?
- If you have a computer, it is helpful to bring it with you to SOAR. However, if you don't bring a computer to SOAR (and many students don't), there are computer labs available across campus for you to use.
- As a Spring SOAR student, you must still attend Embark Orientation if you have not already done so. You can find more information on the Embark website.
- If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact Marquis McGee at 828.232.5122 or email@example.com.